Sunday, March 22, 2009

Response to Reddit

So my blog got posted to reddit not too long ago and I got some comments from there and a few on my blog as well. I would like to take a few minutes to respond to a few comments then continue on like normal.
The silliest comment I got was that "he is trying to learn Haskell by installing an IDE", while I did talk about both learning Haskell and installing the Leksah IDE I didn't give any hint to learning by installing an IDE. If you want to know how I've been learning then skip down to the next section.

The other posts were mostly about how either I had given up on scheme from lack of an IDE or saying I didn't need an IDE. I can agree I don't need an IDE however I like them and this being my hobby language (nothing in the foreseeable future will replace C at work) I would like to have one. The main reason I'm not looking to into scheme anymore isn't because of a lack of a good IDE anyways, it's the lack of community and not enough program structure (parenthesis get hard to read quite fast).

There were also a few posts about my emacs comment. Yeap I did make it a little flame prone but all I really said was that emacs isn't for me and I don't see how other can get along with such primitive tools. The command line is great for some things but as an editor/IDE it's not very well suited for the task.

Learning Haskell

I have been reading the "Real World Haskell" online book and am currently on chapter 4 (been taking it slow in my free time). So far I really like the book, most things are easy to understand and laid out well but for those that aren't the comments do help. I quite like the idea of a comment system for continuous improvement of the book, it gives the author feedback on things that they didn't think about and those who read the book a better understanding when they get lost. There are a few places in the book where I feel it jumps too much or the exercises are either using something that hasn't been covered (ex: importing modules took a bit) or have an abstract concept that most people don't deal with (ex: convex hulls). Overall I feel like I am learning a lot of fun new stuff and most of the content so far as been great.

On another note, I have decided what I will be making in the meantime as a learning/test program. A simple bug tracker application is what I plan on writing. The first iteration will just be design and a simple command-line utility for adding and querying bugs and then from there I could branch out to databases and/or a gui.

No comments:

Post a Comment